BET Networks, a subsidiary of ViacomCBS Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIA.B), is the nation’s leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news, and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom, and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture and news; BET HER, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the African-American Woman; BET Music Networks – BET Jams, BET Soul and BET Gospel; BET Home Entertainment; BET Live, BET’s growing festival business; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET around the globe.
We’re looking for a Director of Scripted Programming to cover current shows and movies and shepherd new and engaging series to our cable network and sister streaming platform.
- Help establish the strategic development goals of the department by identifying trends, brainstorming ideas, determining needs, etc.
- Cover several shows simultaneously
- Field pitches, read specs, identify new business opportunities and secure new talent for projects in development.
- Provide notes on story documents, outlines, scripts and cuts for current shows and projects in development.
- Build and manage relationships with production partners, including studio executives, third party production companies, producers, writers, directors, actors, agents, managers, etc.
- Attend shoots to ensure that agreed upon concepts are fully realized in production.
- Assist in launching shows from pilot to series, including creative notes, assisting in finding and hiring of writing staff and episodic directors.
- Work closely with various internals departments including production, legal, press, casting, marketing, digital, social media etc. to communicate information and act as a liaison for the scripted department’s projects.
- Work with external partners as liaison and brand ambassador
- Attend film festivals, panels and events as assigned
- Minimum 4 years of experience in television/film
- Minimum 2 years in creative executive capacity, current and/or development
- College degree or equivalent work experience in related environment.
- Experience in television development and/or current programming
- Ability to interface with veteran producers
- Excellent writing skill, proficient at writing network notes on scripts and cuts
- Experience in generating and/or taking pitches
- Strong relationships with agents, managers, writers, producers, industry executives, etc.
- Exhibit flexibility, excellent communication skills and relationship building ability
- Assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated self-starter
- Polished with good interpersonal skills
- Creative and passionate
- Innovative and entrepreneurial
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high energy environment
- Travel as needed to sets and events outside of LA
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. ViacomCBS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.viacomcbs.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.