Nickelodeon, now in its 40th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The brand includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, digital, location-based experiences, publishing and feature films. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC).
Overview and Responsibilities
The Director of Animation Development will serve as the lead executive on the development of assigned properties and tackle special creative assignments as they arise. We are looking for someone who will contribute to Nickelodeon’s commitment to develop original series by soliciting pitches for animated content, finding potential show creators, and identifying potential talent for development and series staff opportunities. If you are interested in overseeing the entire production process, from greenlight to final delivery, of an animated series, as the principle representative of the series to the rest of the network, then this role is for you!
- Oversee the written notes generated for internal discussion and conversations with talent or production partners. Coordinate the revisions of notes following those conversations
- Share talent, pitches & coverage with members across both Original and Franchise Animation groups
- Build relationships within the company to create a healthy and professional work flow supporting the franchise properties
- Develop and maintain an understanding of Nickelodeon’s core demo to help inform development conversations and decisions. Ensuring all programs align with Nick’s creative guidelines and the network’s standards and practices.
- Partner with Research to acquire kids’ feedback on franchise properties at the start of development
- Lead all aspects of the curation of talent lists to review for development assignments
- Act as the liaison and point person for current series with all LOB’s – includes intensive communication, planning and collaboration with Marketing, NCR, On-Air Promos, Programming, Press, Digital, Recreations, Consumer Products, International, Publishing, Music, Home Video, Apparel, etc.
- Cultivate positive relationships with show talent. Help to run talent relations if issues arise
- Manage assets with Production and distribute to NCR to develop consumer products
- Working in partnership with other LOBs to review and provide feedback on work that is produced ensuring that they reflect the visual and content integrity of show
- Coordinates with production to deliver artwork, sizzle reels, and various production materials to share with Marketing teams
- Coordinate with Consumer Products to ensure quality control with executive producers on products
- Attend festivals and other industry events
- Other related duties as assigned
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience supervising various projects on an overall animation development slate
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience launching a large number of pitches to be developed into animated series for a network
- Experience in talent outreach across the animation industry
- Experience managing or developing properties that extend into other lines of business
- Experience with content for Kids in the 6-11 space
- Supervisory abilities across numerous projects and initiatives
- Passion for kids and family entertainment
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous projects in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge and passion for animation and deep understanding of animation production
- Outstanding communication skills—the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of executives, creatives, and other partners
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong connections to the animation community is a plus!